Who we are
Based in the heart of one of Europe’s fastest growing digital cities, Modal is a new digital gallery that will showcase artists working at the forefront of creative technology.
Featuring three major exhibitions a year by local and international artists, alongside its exhibition programme, Modal will also have a rich and provocative line-up of talks, conferences and performances.
Modal combines a dynamic production centre with multiple styles of exhibition space to facilitate innovative work in traditional and emerging art forms. Exhibiting artists will be supported by advanced labs for extended reality, video making, sound art and design, motion capture and more.
Modal is located within the School of Digital Arts at Manchester Metropolitan University – a £35M investment to drive the next generation of creative practitioners studying at the intersection of storytelling, technology and innovation.
- Barbara London (former videoart Department Director MoMA, New York)
- Emma Enderby (Chief Curator at The Shed, NY)
- Gaby Jenks (Director of Digital Programmes at Manchester International Festival)
- Nadim Samman (Curator KW Berlin, Berlin)
- Soh Yeong Roh (Director Art Center Nabi, Korea)
- Mi You (Professor of Art and Economics at University of Kassel)
- Ben Vickers (Serpentine Gallery, London)
- Monica Bello (Curator and Head of Arts at CERN)